Red River Valley
New Mexico, United States of America
The Questa molybdenum mine, owned and operated by Molycorp Inc., is located 5.8 km east of the town of Questa in Taos County, New Mexico in the Red River Valley and has been in operation since 1965. The region is one of extensive hydrothermal alteration, sulfide mineralization and natural acid rock drainage.
RGC has undertaken extensive background characterization, modeling and plume delineation in the valley upstream of the mine. Services have been provided in the areas of ARD and metal leaching characterization and prediction of contamination from the natural hydrothermal scars and alluvial material in the valley. Geochemical modeling, regional 3D groundwater flow modeling and water and load balance modeling of specific scars within the valley has been provided.
- Field Investigations (extensive soils and water sampling)
- ARD/Geochemical Assessments & Prediction
- Mineralogical Characterization
- Water Resources; Hydrology; Groundwater
- Shaw, S., Wels, C., Robertson A., Fortin, S. and Walker, B. (2003). Background Characterization Study of Naturally Occurring Acid Rock Drainage in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, Taos County, New Mexico. Paper submitted to the 6th International Conference on Acid Rock Drainage (ICARD), July 2003.